Smart Meter Quick Start Guide

Smart Meter Quick Start Guide

I will run through the procedure I take as soon as I have provisioned an ESP8266 with the ESPproMon cloud based server. Unless I say otherwise on this site I will be referring to a WeMos D1 Mini and a Pzem-004 but the other ESP’s and metering hardware should be very similar.

The blue LED should provide a very, very faint pulse every 5 seconds after provisioning. You have to look very closely for the pulse but it should be there. Just to say that if an ESP has been flashed and not provisioned this faint pulse will be at 1 second intervals.

If I reboot an ESP through the app or via the PSU I generally have the tariff window open because it provides information that it has collected from the server within the terminal window, such as your preferred hardware, currency, last RF and Relay status conditions etc.

1. Setup page, select my currency (normally I select Yen / Yuan because I know I will be taking more screenshots soon for the enormous market in the Far East). Stored on the server and you shouldn’t need to set this again unless there is an app update.

2. Set slider / step widget for calibration of Pzem to physical electric meter at -3 (%) as I know my Pzem runs about 3% higher than my electric meter. You will need to set this to 0% until you get some data to work with. It does currently need setting by you as the default slider position is -9 (%). We could code up a 0% but the more we code up during the boot phase the more likely you are to miss critical parameters on the server. And in any case again it’s just a one time requirement unless there is an app update.

3. I select 01 Peacefair Pzem hardware from setup page and I think the very first time it will say something like make a selection if it’s the first time you have been beyond provisioning. With all the drop down menus in the app you need to actually select the parameter and then OK to register your selection i.e. what appears in the app what the last setting which could be before a reset and the server might not know which parameter you selected prior to reboot. Once a parameter has been selected after a reboot you can keep changing the values by typing in the terminal and you should see a confirmation of the request you made i.e. you wouldn’t need to keep selecting the parameter over and over again.

4. My preferred RF device is an N38HN RF controlled mains socket and I select parameter 17 for N38HN channel 1 device 3 from the RF device drop down menu. There aren’t too many RF devices within the firmware at present as we are wanting users to make recommendations for their preferred RF controlled devices. Over the last few years we have worked with quite a few devices but don’t expect us to cover the rarest of devices as this is a generic app for the masses and not tailored to your precise requirements. Some features are specific to you but it wouldn’t be possible to cover every RF controlled ever produced.

5. I then jump over to the info page and press the RF ON / OFF button. It should always show the last status condition known to the server when the ESP reboots. First ever boot will be RF OFF condition but this retrieval of the status means that if you have a brownout your RF controlled device will be in your chosen state when the ESP reboots. I will normal try ON, visually check the RF device comes on if I am local to the device or check one of the video streams if I am “on the road”. Then I will power the RF device off and check terminal which will state the RF ON and OFF times.

6. Final step is normally to check the map is showing my current location on the setup page and if Google sends a location services request I accept it.

I’m done, and even though it takes 30 minutes to write this you will have it done in a few seconds with a bit of practise :slight_smile:

There are some more steps but that’s more than enough for the quick start guide.

Step by step guide to setting up ESPproMon
ESPproMon Integration

OK so you have now completed the quick start guide, what next?

If you scroll down the tariff page you will see the following information:

So what does this mean and how can you enter the details for your country?

The cumulative bands in red are the KWH cost bands, so up to 120 KWH will be charged at a certain rate then from 120 KWH to 320 KWH at another rate etc. In our country there are only 5 bands with everything over 1000 KWH in the billing cycle being charged at the same rate. Some countries have 6 bands so that is what the 1001 band is for.

The rates in blue is the cost per KWH charged by the electricity company for each of the cost bands. If, like us, you only have 5 bands set the rate for band 6 the same as band 5. As shown in the cumulative bands you also need to set band 6 to any value greater than band 5.

Normally these bands and rates will appear on the bill from your utility company and are generally published on their websites.

If you scroll up the tariff page to the purple parameter setting, drop down menu you can select each of the bands and rates in turn. You then enter the required values in the terminal widget when prompted to do so.

You will be glad to know these details are then saved on the ESPproMon cloud server so you will only need to do this once. When the utility company updates the rates you can do the same in the app.

We also have a web browser API if you prefer to enter the data that way, see here for details. You can issue just 2 API calls to set all 12 bands and rates.

The other setting you need to check is the timezone for ESPproMon. You will find an image of a clock towards the middle at the bottom of the SETUP tab. Simply click this and select your local timezone.

In the IOS version of the app there’s a clock in the middle but clicking that one doesn’t work. (It’s probably just a symbol inbetween the two timer settings). You mention a clock widget towards the bottom … so that would be beneath the Map ? Don’t see any or am I going blind ? Here’s some screenshots :

I mean the bottom of the page before scrolling down the page, so the first clock image.

Just checked with my iOS and it looks like you are right that it’s not bringing up the TZ settings.

Can you change it with Android until we get the app updated?

No problem but see my other mail regarding logins … can’t seem to reset my password for the Gmail one and would actually prefer to go back to my initial LIVE.COM account … Possible ?

You can only have one login per WeMos / ESPproMon but if we are careful we should be able to switch back from Gmail to Live.

Currently one of my WeMos’ is using the Live account but it’s easy enough for me to remove it from the server. I can’t simply give you the Live password (which I think you might have) because it’s written to the EEPROM in the WeMos.

OK I have removed the Live WeMos from our network but I still need to kill the account on the server before you can re-provision your WeMos with it. I will advise when this is done.

Please post a screenshot of what you see when you try to reset the Gmail password and we will take it from there.

Sorry for the bad quality, photo from Android device screen :neutral_face:

Not the best image but I think I can make out what it says.

Just checking password reset here.

It says “Sorry, this account does not exist”

The account clearly exists as you are using it and I see it on the server.

When you try to do the password reset you go to the login screen, click login and the press Reset Password, right?

For me it then comes up with “We will send you an email with the link to reset your password” and a “Reset Password” button.

Did you see all that and is the error message coming up when you click the “Reset Password” button?

Maybe your Samsung is not connected to the router.

I don’t want to reset the password for my real login as I have several Smartphones and tablets connected to the account. Send your current password via PM for Gmail and I will test it here and then you can reset it again.

This is more of a test for password reset than your particular account as you are switching back to Live account. The Live account, when we get to it, will be a fresh installation and you will need to re-provision and add the EmonCMS api key etc.

Okay … here’s some answers : (Repro steps)

Samsung IS connected to the Internet and working (tested)
Killed the App
Restarted App
Clicked on "Log In"
Did not fill in anything (Email, Password) but clicke don "Reset Password"
Asks me to enter my email, entered tony.knors@gmail.com
Says "We will send you an email with the link to reset your password"
Clicked on “Reset Password” (below)
Replies with “Sorry, this account does not exist” (in red as on screenshot)

?

PS : this is all on the Android device

If it’s easier for you let’s just delete the 2 accounts completely and I’ll create a new account with my live.com email ?

I have now deleted the Live account from the server.

Create the account again at your side and confirm it’s working OK.

Hmmm … If I create a new account then I need to go throuigh the whole process again so the ESP needs to be flashed again ?

I used the Android App :

• Create new account
  • Enter Email
  • Enter Password
  • Scan QR Code

and then it starts with “Begin” Let’s connect the device to your Wifi network ???

Technically no but the EEPROM needs clearing.

Login with the Gmail account and clear the EEPROM in the app by pressing the button in the SETUP page TWICE within a couple of seconds. It should then take the WeMos offline for you to provision with the live account but without reflashing the WeMos.

Ok, Done … So now I have to re-enter the EMonCMS API key and the node number, right ?

Setting some parameters now … Can’t seem to find how to reset the value “Energy to Yesterday”, “Cost to Yesterday” and “Since last bill” ?

The node number is not actually required at the moment, it will default to node 1 which is how your EmonCMS account is currently set up.